Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Fortnight in Links (This is a Pretty Good Edition)

First off, we're just a week away from the July ancient/medieval blog carnival that will be posted right here on July 28. So far I've only received three submissions, so if you've read or written a great ancient or medieval blog post recently, please submit it using this form.

***

Normal service has been resumed as soon as possible:

The NYT seems to have a bee in its bonnet about the antiquities trade:

The Curse of the Outcast Artifact

Looted for Love

After all of this, how did I miss this article when it first appeared?:

A Walking Course in Tel Aviv's Graffiti

BBC iPlayer is restricted to the East and I am in the depths of the West:

My Heart is in the East

A review of Geza Vermes' new book, written by Rowan Atkinson, the outgoing archbishop of Canterbury.

One of the manuscripts in the corpus I'm working with was, during the 19th and 20th-century, a part of a college library collection in the UK that was broken up and sold at the end of the 20th. So I speak from the personal experience of having to track down a manuscript from a split-up collection when I say that this is a pain in the ass that will make scholarship more difficult if it is allowed to happen:

Canterbury Cathedral and University in Bid to Preserve Unique Historic Collection

As one corpus is destroyed, another is being created:

Racing to Save the Ladino Legacy of Sephardi Jews

This post reminded me of what I already knew, namely that as someone who is frequently at the margins of all sorts of academic conversations and who will likely always have to work very hard to find interlocutors, I'm spectacularly lucky to have been hired into a quirky department that is okay with me being intellectually quirky and doing a variety of kinds of writing:

On Being a Writer

Another new-to-me this week post, relating to the type of translation my academic subjects do and the type that most of the rest of us hope to do:

The Desirability of Metaphor-for-Metaphor Translation

Slate tackles the poetic voice:

A Poet by any other Name

I have yet to see a case where students and alumni getting involved in a very public contestation of a tenure denial or any other personnel decision was good for the students or the personnel. At the very least, they could have made their site a little more readable than blue text on a black background. I was intrigued by the suggestion in the Chronicle thread that it was great that all these documents had come to light because those of us who will have to go through the process can see a full tenure dossier (unusual because it's a very opaque process). But I'm not sure it's even really all that helpful for those incidental purposes:

Unusually Detailed Look at Tenure Denial

KU Alumni for Romkes

Updated (3pm): And a few other links to thinks I read/viewed and meant to include here but seem to have neglected

1) Epstein on the Rylands Haggadah

2) Different from You and Me


3) 

No comments:

Post a Comment