Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Week in Links (Battle of Antietam Edition)

Okay. I may finally be on board with crowdsourcing. Just a little bit. In limited contexts. Like this one:

Penn Provenance Project

In further good library news: Victory! This is a fantastic development especially since, as I discovered this summer, despite their protesting too much that it would be just fine to take the research collection out of the research library in favor of more circulating copies of Dan Brown, they are not good on turn-around time for bringing in the books that are already stored off-site. There was a lot of shouting from all sorts of scholars and writers, and it seems to have actually helped:

NYPL Shifts Plan for 5th Avenue Building

On the longue durée:

What's the Big Idea?

There is a segment of the Cornell undergraduate population that I do not miss teaching at all — the entitled ones who think that the world and everyone else in it exists for their entertainment and don't get it when people "can't take a joke." I consider myself lucky to have never seen anything this egregious when I was there but it also doesn't surprise me at all. I think that the most telling line in the story is when the student  brushes it all off saying, "I figured she’d send me a nasty email back and delete it; that’s what I would have done." When Cornell switched over to Google Apps for Education, one of the touted benefits was that alumni would be able to keep their Cornell gmail addresses in perpetuity. That's probably not seeming like such a benefit now.

Posing as Professor, Cornell Alumnus Slams Student's Religion in Email

Two museum reviews:

'Crossing Borders' Opens at the Jewish Museum

The Louvre's New Islamic Galleries Bring Riches to Light

And another, an overview of an exhibition that puts a completely different take on the discourse on arms and letters:

Books with War Wounds in the Complutense Library

Since colonial Latin America seems to be accreting itself to me these days, some relevant links:

Maya Murals Discovered in Guatemalan Family's Kitchen

Treasures of the UCLA Library: Colonial Mexican Manuscripts


And rounding things out with a bit more on medieval manuscripts in university libraries:



No comments:

Post a Comment