Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Week In Links (The I'm Kind of Sorry to Knock the NYPL Post off the Top of the Page Edition)

I simply cannot say enough good things about this video:


An articulation of the value of human knowledge in linguistic pursuits, and another chapter in the history of Hebrew lexicography:

Israeli Scholars Set Out to Compile the Ultimate Hebrew Dictionary

A little meta for someone attempting to write well about poetics:

Yes, Even Professors Can Write Stylishly

This isn't from this week (though it's new to me this week), and it contains several really serious methodological flaws, but it's sort of interesting to see a blogger attempting to puzzle out this particular question. (I'm also looking forward to taking time to read his posts on S.D. Luzzato, at least for the bibliography.):

How Should We Pronounce "Ibn" as in "Ibn Era"?

This is kind of lovely, though:

Piyyut and Modern Hebrew Poetry

An art-historical detective story in Spain:

Prado Researcher Finds Insights Beneath Copy of Mona Lisa

Much to my chagrin, I realized after my class last week that maybe I am going to have to use more (and more tangential) videos in class to get and keep students engaged. Along those lines, I was thinking that I might use forensic science as a way in, showing a clip from a CSI episode to illustrate a medieval point about the utility of paper versus parchment in legal documents. And then this article, related and kind of heartwarming, showed up:

Police Save Words of Blind Author Who Wrote 26 Pages After Pen Ran Out

This totally wasn't where I was expecting an op-ed column with this headline to go, but in fact it's part of Joe Nocera's excellent series on academics and the NCAA:

Football and Swahili

More on open access:

Wellcome Trust Joins 'Academic Spring' to Open Up Science

A new university without departments, founded by a former Columbia professor who declined tenure. There's a lot to disagree with here (I think that tenure encourages risk-taking, for example, and I don't think that the reasons he gives for dismantling the department system are the right ones, as much as I do agree with the end result), but it's an interesting proposition:

David Helfand's New Quest

A different issue with respect to bounded disciplines:

Professional Boredom

An interesting and critical take on how one university is going about attempting to increase its research reputation and profile. Plus, why doesn't any of my professional associations have such a puerile abbreviation?:

Success, Ambition, Energy and the Class. Ass.

While the intellectual environment of my department was second to none, there are lots of things wrong with Cornell. More than at Yale and more than at NYU, there seemed a constancy with which students died. A review of one of the most high-profile recent deaths:

When A Hazing Goes Very Wrong

No comments:

Post a Comment